PIPA Testing FAQ’s2019-02-28T09:17:08+00:00
How do we know you are a Competent Person?2019-12-08T13:17:35+00:00
Do I need a PIPA Test on my Bouncy Castle2018-09-26T09:09:35+00:00

Shot Answer is, if you are hiring it out to the public then Yes it needs to be inspected by a competent person to the EN14960 Standard.

If it’s just in your back garden for your kids to bounce on and you are not hiring it out or lending it to friends then NO.

PIPA is a Great Scheme and we do PIPA tests as standard on all PIPA Scope inflatables that fall under the EN14960 Standard, Mainly Bouncy Castles, Slides, Obstacle Courses and Soft air Mountains.

Who Can PIPA Test Bouncy Castles2018-09-26T09:07:16+00:00

Only RPII trained and Registered Testers can Inspect your inflatables and Issue a PIPA Certificate

Use the PIPA website to check out their credentials to make sure there a Competent person recognised by the HSE

What is PIPA2018-08-08T14:42:05+00:00

PIPA is an inspection scheme set up by the inflatable play industry to ensure that equipment conforms to recognised safety standards.

Visit there website here PIPA

I have an inflatables not covered by PIPA can you still test it?2018-09-26T09:25:43+00:00

Yes, we will still inspect it to the European standard EN14960 (using it as a guide) and calculate the correct amount of users, Anchor Points, Unit pressure and overall design of the inflatable to ensure it is used and operated in a safe manner.

The en14960 standard does not use ages for inflatables it is all done on the height of the user.

RPII and PIPA Tests – Whats the Difference?2018-09-26T09:20:11+00:00

There is none, the test is exactly the same. PIPA is the online registration of the RPII trained Testers, Test

We test to EN14960 designed for Bouncy Castles and Slides manufactured for Sliding and Bouncing

I have a local PTA asking for my PIPA tag numbers should i give it to them2018-09-26T09:14:36+00:00

Education on PIPA and inspections of bouncy castles have increased massively over the last few years.

If you have been asked then let them have them, they should also ask for Insurance, safe setup and Risk assessments for the items hired.

Don’t be afraid there just doing there checks to see if you are a reputable hire company.

Take a look here http://www.pta.co.uk/licences/keep-it-legal/faqs-inflatables.aspx

Is PIPA for Bouncy Castles the LAW?2018-09-26T09:06:35+00:00

In Order to Comply with the law, it is the operator’s responsibility to have their equipment tested by a competent person, at the moment this is a test to EN14960:2013.

PIPA is just an online registration platform allowing your customers to check you have met this requirement in law.

Us here at Inflatable PIPA Testing think PIPA is a great idea but it’s your choice, we will test it exactly the same way as we would a PIPA tagged unit but only issue an IPT certificate if required, why you would want this is beyond me but it’s your choice.

I have a hole in my bouncy castle, can it be repaired?2018-09-26T09:06:16+00:00

Its hard to say without seeing the hole and knowing where it is, but normally the answer is yes.

We will not repair any inflatable that does not meet EN14960.

Email us a few pictures for a rough quote to office@inflatablepipatesting.co.uk


I have ripped the tie down point off my bouncy castle, can you repair it?2018-08-08T15:05:53+00:00

Yes, we can with our Mobile Repair Sewing machine we can repair most items onsite.

We stock Tie Down Points and Webbing, we can even manufacture new tie down points to match the old ones.

Contact us for help

I have a massive 60ft x 60ft Bouncy Castle From China, Can it be PIPA Tested2018-08-08T15:02:18+00:00

It can be inspected to EN14960 and if it passes, we will issue a PIPA Tag and Certificate.

We have seen many Chinese and other manufacturers from around the world claiming to manufacture to EN14960 and PIPA Standards, there are literally hundreds of standards around the world and it is hard enough to get an English bouncy castle manufacturer to PIPA standards so to ask a Chinese factory halfway around the world to make you a large inflatable to PIPA standards is a big job, We have personally visited over 60 Chinese factories over the last 10 years and have seen some very good and some very bad interpretations of the EN14960 Standards.

Most Factories will tell you it conforms to EN14960 as once its paid for and shipped it not there problem as it’s not easy to send things back to China.

We will inspect any inflatable for the correct fee and advise you of any work that needs doing to make it pass EN14960.

What about Electrical PAT Testing for my Bouncy Castle Blower and Leads2018-09-26T09:06:59+00:00

Were also City and Guilds Trained for Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)

For a small fee, we will also inspect and test your electrical items and issue a PAT test Certificate detailing the items inspected and PAT Tested.

See the Pricing Page for More Information.

The HSE recommends all electrical items be tested at regular intervals. The type and frequency of user checks, inspections and testing needed will depend on the equipment, the environment in which it is used and the results of previous checks.

I have sealed air inflatables, do they need testing2021-01-30T11:23:03+00:00

If you hire them for reward, then yes it does need to be inspected by a competent person.

This is where it gets difficult as it is a specialist item and testing is difficult especially with the amount of imported sealed air inflatables around.

The HSE has been very involved with Sealed air Inflatables due to accidents that have happened with them.

Below is a small exert from a recent document released from the HSE and I will put a link when we have one so you can read the full document.

Manufacturer –
The person or organisation responsible for:
• The design and construction of the sealed inflatable and demonstration that it is fit for its intended purpose (including any limitations in application).
• Provision of an operations manual containing all necessary information (including any limitations of use) to ensure continued safe operation of the device.
• Provision of a maintenance manual containing all necessary information to ensure the ongoing safe condition of the device.

Inspection body –
An organisation, part of an organisation or individual with the appropriate technical skills and relevant practical experience to carry out one or more of the following inspections:
• Design review
• Initial test
• Annual thorough inspection

Legal Requirements –
Legal responsibilities to ensure that sealed inflatables are correctly designed,
maintained and operated safely are set out in Section 3 and Section 6 of the Health and Safety
at Work Act (1974) and require, as far as reasonably practicable, that:
i. The article is designed and constructed in such a way that it will be safe and
without risks to health at all times when it is being used for, or in connection
with, the entertainment of members of the public.
ii. Persons not in employment who may be affected are not thereby exposed to
risks to their health or safety.
iii. The equipment is maintained in a safe condition at all times and that it is subject
to such testing and examination as may be necessary to maintain its safe

Essential documentation –

Inflatable devices should not be operated unless the Controller/Operator are in
possession of the following documentation, relevant to the specific inflatable(s):
• A detailed written assessment of the design against safety principles, that allows all
parties to understand the basis of safety. This is normally undertaken by a competent
person or organisation and is referred to as a “design review”. Wherever possible,
reference to the relevant standards and guidance should be made, this could include,
but is not limited to the following;
– BS EN 13814 Fairground and amusement park machinery and structures.
– BS EN ISO 25649 Floating leisure articles for use on and in the water.
– ISO 17842 Safety of amusement rides and amusement devices.
– BS EN 14960 Inflatable play equipment – Safety requirements and test
• In line with HSG 175 – Fairgrounds and amusement parks: Guidance on safe practice.
A report of initial test where a physical trial of the device takes place, to confirm the
design review When necessary, these trials can be used to amend the design review
or provide additional requirements for ongoing inspection and maintenance.
• A “Declaration of Operational Compliance” (DOC) resulting from a successful annual
thorough inspection or an equivalent recognised means of providing evidence of a
satisfactory examination carried out by a competent inspection body, e.g. relevant
markings (see 5.3) etc.
• An Operations Manual containing all the relevant information for safe use including but
not limited to the means of measuring internal pressure
• A Maintenance Manual containing all relevant information to ensure the continued safe
condition of the sealed inflatable including sufficient information for the completion of
the in-service inspection, which would normally include the following information:
➢ the maximum operating pressure;
➢ the test pressure, which must be above the maximum operating pressure
➢ details of any necessary requirements to allow the Inspection Body to safely
undertake the pressure test;
➢ details of any repair criteria or repair procedures